Saturday, May 20, 2006
Last night at 11:00 we had to drive over to Miss Ellie's (mil) and tell her that her brother was dead. She answered the door in her tweety bird jammies, her hair all tousled from sleep. They were going to call her from Conroe but I didn't want her to be alone when she got the news. You see, she had just been shopping and bought him new clothes for his stay in rehab. She was sure he would be ok. Having watched most of my own family die from one addiciton or another, I kind of knew his days were numbered.

When she heard the news she said one word, "oh." And then crumbled. She is the last one standing in her family now. Her husband died some time back. Two sisters are in nursing homes unable to care for themselves. One sister and her parents dead. One brother shot and killed years ago, and this one dead from alcoholism two months after his son died from the same.

The last one standing. 84 and blind, she has a little dog for company. She is as strong as she needs to be. It's hard to watch your friends and family pass on. And yet survival demands we suck it up. Stand tough and laugh in the face of our own demise. If we do not, every moment we spend feeling sorry for ourselves is forever lost, wasted.

Many of us will be the last man standing. When that time comes, I would urge you to stand proudly and take absolutely everything you can from each and every day left to you. Of course we're going to leave this world. It's inevitable. But while you are here, you make your mark. Laugh. Be strong. Take the best from your days and hold it near to your heart like a talisman.

And for a moment of this day, say a prayer for Miss Ellie, who still stands this morning, no doubt, still in her tweety bird jammies.
 
posted by Crabby at 7:40 AM |


11 Comments:


At 5/20/2006 11:37 AM, Blogger MilkMaid

I'm so very sorry my dear....hugs to you and Bob both and a special prayer for Miss Ellie....carol

 

At 5/20/2006 2:21 PM, Blogger Evil Minx

So sorry to hear that, Crabcake honey... You're in my thoughts. And so is Miss Ellie.

 

At 5/20/2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Oh! I'm so, so sorry for
Miss Ellie's loss (and yours). I can imagine how she looked when you told her. I've watched my own grandmother go through this. She's not the last one standing family wise - but pappaw is gone, all of her siblings but one and most of her friends. She turned 89 two weeks ago. I often wonder what thoughts go through your head when you reach that age and watch so many close to you leave. . . .

tina

 

At 5/20/2006 6:14 PM, Blogger Crabby

Thanks, guys. Long day here. Ellie is holding up but in the worse shape I've seen her. She's shaking a lot and seems disoriented or kind of fuzzy headed. She hasn't had any kind of medication so, I dunno. I'm hoping it's just lack of sleep from last night.

I am soooo ready to toss on the grubbies and hit the sofa. Yeegads what crappy couple of days. I figure something really good is bound to happen soon if there's any truth to the saying that life is a series of hills and valleys.

 

At 5/21/2006 7:16 AM, Blogger SignGurl

You are such a good person, Crabby. Most daughters in law would have let her be alone. She will always remember that you were there for her.

Hugs to you and your family.

 

At 5/21/2006 8:55 AM, Blogger concerned citizen

She's fortunate to have you. It's gotta be a bitch to be old & the last one standing. I've known many old people in my life (i work for old people alot)
I love them, they are not given the credit they are due for what they suffer.
So many of the old people I know are lonely. They become isolated for one reason or other.

I figure the misery of old age makes knowing your going to die soon a little easier.

 

At 5/21/2006 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I too will say a lil' prayer for Miss Ellie...she sounds like such a wonderful person with a beautiful name! My best friends Grandmother was blind, and living by herself; even mowed her own small front yard for exercise....we all wondered how she did so much to care for herself, until she fell and broke her hip....it pretty much went downhill quickly, once she wasn't ble to do for herself any longer. She and my Grandmother were the same age soon to be 95 y.o.!! Mine, whose the oldest, and the last of her family of 14....has sadly stood by and watched loosing all her siblings and close friends over these many years....I can't say I hope to have this (obvious) longevity gene that she and my G. Grandmother (103 y.o.) shared...I would be way too lonesome!

 

At 5/21/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger Manny

Crabby, I'm back!!!!!

 

At 5/21/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger Manny

That stupid bird.
Remember the chunck he took out of my fingure on Thanksgiving?
dumb bird.

 

At 5/22/2006 12:44 AM, Blogger Mone

I'll say a prayer to send Miss Ellie and yourself the strength it takes to get through this time.
Love Mone

 

At 5/22/2006 6:23 AM, Blogger barman

That is so sad. You are awesome to be there for her. Sending prayers that hopefully will comfort Miss Ellie.