Thursday, March 02, 2006
I love cars. I've always loved cars. I can sing in my car and nobody bitches about the noise. I can eat whatever I want in my car and nobody tells me to taste it before I salt it.

What's important to me in a car? Color. Cup holders. Cubby holes. And it's gotta drive like a dream. I was offered a used Boxster S, white with full red leather interior at an incredible price. Bob loved it. All the guys loved it. And I admit, it handled brilliantly. But ..... the cup holders were crap.

Both Bob and the dealer (a long time friend) looked at me in stunned disbelief. "You'd turn down a deal like this because you don't like the cup holders," Ryan asked.
Bob made a face. "Look I want you to get what you want but this is a great car! It's a Porsche! I love this car. Look at that leather. It's a classic. We could both drive it."

"Nope. I need good cup holders. Besides you and I can not share a car and you know it."
"Why not?" Bob asked, astonished.
"Because the last time we got burgers you were
worried I'd get salt on your seat."
"What???"
"He'll let you salt your burger in the car, right Bob?" Ryan interjected hopefully.
"SHE DOES ANYWAY! DO YOU THINK SHE LISTENS TO ME!"
At this point I felt like Bob was getting much too excited so it was only fair for me to finish this off with the final deal killer.
"Besides the dash lights aren't red" I told them.
They stood there looking at each other, slack jawed till Bob told Ryan and the other fellas who had gathered round, "See? This is what I have to deal with. She's nuts!" Being men they all agreed.





After exhausting that dealers car supply we went on to our other dealer. Also good friends of ours. Now for some reason all these guys were determined to get me into a 4 seater. I was equally determined NOT to get into a 4 seater. I wanted a sports car! They thought they'd found the perfect car after oh.....3 hours or so. They were tired and worn down. I was happy as a clam chomping down doughnuts and drinking coffee.


They brought out this indigo blue Porsche. They'd had the thing for almost 2 years and desperately wanted to move it so I admit they did offer a mighty sweet deal and even offered to throw in 2 years extra warranty. It was a 2002, I think. Again, lousey cup holders. And again Bob was aghast because he had come "this close" to owning a great little Porsche for cheap. But HULLO! Bad cup holders. Not red. No red dash lights. NO DEAL!

While the men were busy busting their humps trying to agree on a good car for me I meandered back to the maintenance section to visit Gilberto. I love him. He's the cutest! He cleans and polishes those cars till even the worst car looks like gleaming ice. And lo and behold....there she was. The car of my dreams. I climbed inside. Not great cup holders but certainly acceptable. And red dash lights!

Bob had to think it over for two weeks. All the while both dealers were frantically trying to come up with more of a power car that would be acceptable. I even looked at Coopers. Very cute and red dash lights too. But the Audi TT owned my heart. And no matter what they showed me, I came back to the Audi. Yesterday we brought her home. I'm happy and the guys are all on valium so they'll feel better soon.
 
posted by Crabby at 9:28 AM |


14 Comments:


At 3/02/2006 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

CUTE!!!

I bought a new car in the fall and I looked at the mini-coopers too. Too little. But I love the looks and they handle great!

I've got leather too - and I love it - never thought I'd want it.

Very little eating or drinking in the car though. Now I've got a friend whose husband WILL NOT LET HER COMB HER HAIR IN THE CAR because she might shed a few in the car! LOL

Get out there and enjoy the car!

tina

 

At 3/02/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger barman

I love the new ride! I love all the curves (yes I am refering to the car) and the color ... I am jealous for sure! So where are the matching driving gloves?

So I have to ask. Where is the picture of these infamous cup holders anyway?

 

At 3/02/2006 11:02 AM, Blogger MilkMaid

SaaaWEET!!!!

Can I borrow it?

 

At 3/02/2006 11:20 AM, Blogger MilkMaid

BTW, a four pack of Charmin won't fit in that thing, you are gonna HAVE to share with Bob, so you can get vittles in his car.

Unless you have a matching trailer. LOL!

Dang that is a cute car..no rag top? I thought you said it had a convertible?

 

At 3/02/2006 11:52 AM, Blogger Crabby

Tina, I love leather. It's much easier to clean and it pops! What did you get?

Cappy, go pee and let's rock!

Barman, isn't it cool? I'll get a pic of the cupholders. I'm just loving it. Can't wait to get it out all by myself.

Milky, nnoooooo! that's the part I haven't shown you yet. I DO have space. This little baby has a bigger trunk than my other car, a bitty, useless back seat and when the seats are folded down, the dog will even fit. That's why I got the hardtop instead of the convertable. There's just nothing about this car that isn't perfect.

 

At 3/02/2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Tumbleweed

We should have shopped together! I know the value of a good cup holder. Plus, I can talk anyone into lowering their prices if I am annoying enough.

 

At 3/02/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger Crabby

Denny, I'm not lookin to be an ex so that part is out. Maybe it's cause you think I should be driving something faster?

Tumble, I am getting soooo good at the "car game". I love to play it. When they wouldn't come down more on this one I told them, "That's ok. My other dealer has a sweet white porsche with red interior and to tell ya the truth I was torn between the two. But this makes it so much easier to decide." He came down real fast.

 

At 3/02/2006 10:57 PM, Blogger wallycrawler

Wanna race ?

 

At 3/02/2006 11:15 PM, Blogger Crabby

Rox, this car is a man magnet! No idea why. But she is. Today two guys pulled up next to me revving their engine. They took off and I decided to see what the ole girl could do. Whoooooeeee! She growled, burned rubber, and flew past them so fast they were just a speck in the mirror. The whole time I had her out guys kept smiling at me. Especially truckers.

Wally, YES! I do. I'm gettin so into this racing stuff.

 

At 3/03/2006 12:38 AM, Blogger barman

You got me smiling now Crabcake. :)

 

At 3/03/2006 8:38 AM, Blogger Silver

congrats CC.

A guy here @ work has a silver 1 and loves it.

 

At 3/03/2006 4:02 PM, Blogger Crabby

Barman, I've been smilin ever since I got her.

Waygon, thanks! This thing is much faster than I knew! She gets away from me sometimes. I figured....beginner sports car. Which was on target because I have a lead foot and didn't think a full-fledged sporty would be a good idea ticket wise. But WHOA!

 

At 3/09/2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hi, ##NAME##, I was hunting for IMSA supercar videos stuff when I found your blog. I reckon that's pretty cool. It takes effort to do what you've done. Keep it coming. John ##LINK##.

 

At 12/28/2006 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Very nice site!
» » »