Monday, October 01, 2007

This month's winnings have been donated to the American Diabetes Association in honor of Bob and Barman, and the millions of other Americans who deal with this disease every day. Tremendous strides have been made through diabetes research. Wouldn't it be nice if one day we found a cure so your children and your children's children, had one less thing in this world to fear?

Last months winnings were donated to PAWs. PAWs not only rehabilitates, injured, orphaned, and abused domesticated pets, but also our nations wildlife.

But it doesn't require prize money or extra cash to make a difference where one is needed. Many charities are happy to receive clothing and household item donations. You can clean out your closet and help someone in the process. It's a win/win! I donate to the Kidney Foundation almost monthly this way.

The United States of America is considered a wealthy nation. Yet the number of every day people just like you and me who are now sleeping in shelters, cars, and even under bridges is mind blowing. Many of our elderly are barely making ends meet. Scientists need funds to find cures for the diseases that plague us. And don't get me started on the complete lack of respect we show our environment.

There are things that need doing. And so many ways of getting them done. You can volunteer your time, your money, your old clothes! You can make a difference by speaking out. It doesn't have to be money. All we need, is to care.

Check out the charities of your choice online. Do what you can. Even if we each live to be a hundred and thirty, our time here is so short. Let's make it count for something.

Ok now, guys. I really need to clarify here. Please don't start thinking I'm St. Crabby of the Blog, or anything. I am NOT by any stretch of the imagination a consistent good person. I just get it right ....... sometimes. Not even real often. And half of those are an accident. Some things I feel strongly about, that's all.
 
posted by Crabby at 11:20 AM |


21 Comments:


At 10/01/2007 12:57 PM, Blogger Little Wing

What a great thing for you to do with your winnings!
You Rock, Crabby.
Seriously.

 

At 10/01/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger nikki

you are awesome, crabby. this entry was needed :)

i donate clothes but i know i can donate some time too. thanks for the kick in the butt i need to do more volunteer work.

 

At 10/01/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Crabby

little wing, now see, I think you rock. LOL! So it's an even trade.

Nikki, I think donating clothes is great. I know lots of folks who just toss stuff without thinking. And there are so many people out there who would be grateful to have it, you know?

 

At 10/01/2007 2:58 PM, Blogger SIMON

Oh yeah Saint Crabby, no I mean it - well done!
When looking at charities don't forget October is breast cancer awareness month and if you want a real laugh go see how I donated $60 to Boobiethon here

Nice one Crabby

 

At 10/01/2007 3:56 PM, Blogger Manny

Just when I think there is no hope for you...you go and do something like this.

Just don't forget my birthday is next Monday!!!!!!!!!!!

And then there will be Christmas.

 

At 10/01/2007 3:58 PM, Blogger Manny

And remember when I told you the hospital was trying to kill me with styrofoam cups? I hate styrofoam and plastic.

 

At 10/01/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger justacoolcat

Way to go!

We volunteerd this weekend. I figure with giving time you get to see where your efforts go.

 

At 10/01/2007 4:06 PM, Blogger MilkMaid

♥♥♥

 

At 10/01/2007 4:22 PM, Blogger Crabby

Simon, you are wild and crazy. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha! the things you do with that shirt. LOL!

Manny, now how could I forget your birthday .... like, EVER. Just get better so you can enjoy it, missy!
I do love you, ya know.

justacoolcat, Jake and his sister have gone to the homeless shelters and taken breakfast for them. That's when the scope of everything really hit Jake I think. There were little kids sitting outside in the cold under big cardboard boxes playing with sidewalk chalk. For a child to have nowhere to sleep is heart wrenching. I do believe the shelters do their best to get the little ones in at night though.

Milky, What THEE hell is that? LOL! Egyptian? I even turned my head sideways and I can't figure nuthin out. You're messin with my brain again, huh?

 

At 10/01/2007 4:27 PM, Blogger MilkMaid

Poor old thang, put on your glasses. It's three hearts, cuz I heart ya!

♥ ♥ ♥

 

At 10/01/2007 6:02 PM, Blogger Crabby

Milky, nuh ugh. It's three of these....
well, danged if I can find one on the keyboard. they're straight up and down lines. LOL!

But, I get the idea. And I love you too. MMMMWWWWA!

 

At 10/01/2007 6:50 PM, Blogger barman

Milky, don't forget she has a mac, those characters are being a problem. Obviously macs do not know how to LOVE. :)

Crabby, stop hitting my over the head with that frying pan...

What you right is a very good point. I do not do near what I should. I find moments when I might donate some goods or money and on occasion time but not near enough. If we all would commit to make a difference even once more a year than we already are that would make a big difference. I have a used SISTER I would not mind donating somewhere. I suspect she might object however.

Oh and thank you crabby, that is a worth while cause. I know just recently they came out with a test for children that are type 1 diabetics that allow them to breath into an apparatus to measure their blood sugar rather than those darn pin pricks. They are also working on things that are implanted that allow you to get a reading with getting a blood sample. And other medications that will greatly help type 1 diabetics and maybe even get them off of insulin. They have come a long way but have so much further to go.

*hugs* to you.

 

At 10/01/2007 8:13 PM, Blogger GAB

See now if I were to win I'd want mine donated to the National Cerebral Palsey Foundation. I'm a very big supporter of this cause. My other choice would be the Cancer Foundation.

 

At 10/01/2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Unknown

So you're SOMETIMES St. Crabby of the Blog. I understand that sometimes saint stuff very well.

 

At 10/01/2007 8:43 PM, Blogger lime

terrific PSA , st crabby. :)

 

At 10/01/2007 9:04 PM, Blogger BTExpress

I donate all of my old clothes. Makes me wonder about some people when I see them selling their old clothes at a yard sale. They sure can't be making very much money on each piece and when you donate, the money goes to a good cause.

 

At 10/01/2007 10:23 PM, Blogger Roxi

I have a post on my blog right now where I am trying to get people to donate to a friend of mine who is participating in the local breast cancer walk..

no one has donated yet..

kinda makes me sad..

 

At 10/02/2007 2:45 AM, Blogger Vi

Well done you! If I had of one, it was just going to my sex toy fund! Hey, charity always begins at home, right? ;P

 

At 10/02/2007 5:42 AM, Blogger MilkMaid

Oh that's right, GET A REAL COMPUTER crabby!

 

At 10/02/2007 5:49 AM, Blogger Crabby

Barman, macs do to know how to love. You take that back, mister!
On our other Mac, I can see them. On this one, I can't. Go figure.

Gabby, both good choices.

Nick, LOL! I'm never saintly tho. Honest. It's a stuggle for me to just be decent.

Lime, well thank you!....what's a PSA? Pretty swell ass? I like that one.

BT, I do to. And sometimes Bob's new ones. LOL!

Roxi, don't be sad. Good chance everybody is also doing that locally. I know my friend does that walk here.

Vi vi vi Voom, that's what I tried to tell Bob when I wanted the i-touch. Didn't work tho. I need a new angle.

 

At 10/02/2007 10:47 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine

` Wow! If it was me... I'd donate my money to me. Because I'm poor. In fact, this internet connection isn't even mine, and I didn't even buy this computer.
` It must be nice to have enough money to give away extra money.