Thursday, September 20, 2007
Well, she's definitely improving cause she's getting meaner than goat spit.
Because I have a slight fever (thank you emergency room hock and hackers) I can't go to see her till it's gone. So yesterday I called her to make a simple request. Soon as she answered the phone I knew she was testy.
Manny: HELLO!
Me: Hi. So? How are you feeling now? Any better?
Manny: No! I want 7up and Squirrel is late. She said she'd be here at 3:30.
Me: Ask one of the nurses to get you some. The hospital has soda.
Manny (slurring): I think they're putting something in it.
Me: What do you think they're putting in it Paranoid Polly?
Manny: I don't know. It doesn't taste right.
Me: Oh well. Does squirrel's cell phone have a camera on it?
Manny: No and WHY?
Me: Can you ask one of the nurses to snap a pic of your urine bag and send it to me?
Manny: Oh, HELL no! What are you gonna do? Blog it?
Me: Yeah.
Manny: Well, forget it.

(So I don't have a urine bag pic to go with my post cause Manny's in a snit. Too bad cause it was a great visual.)

First thing I did when I got there the other day was check her bag to see if she was doing any better.
Manny: Why do you and squirrel always go for the urine bag as soon as you get here. Stop playing with it.
Me: I wanna see how much is in there and if it's any lighter.
Manny: No and no. It still looks like something you'd get off a Chinese Buffet. Now put it down before you drop it.
Me: I won't drop it. I just wanna drain that part up there down into here.
Unfortunately at that point I raised the bag too high and the urine went backwards up the tube.
Manny: NOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID!

The elderly lady in the bed next to Manny went home yesterday. For some reason she was suddenly in a rush to get out. Guess she was weary of hospital food. Now Manny has a new roomie.

After an extremely impatient, Manny waited all day for 7up, The Squirrel finally arrived with a bottle of ice tea.
Manny: Tell me that's not all you brought.
Squirrel: No. I have Sierra Mist in the other pocket.
Manny: Sierra Mist doesn't taste like 7up. I wanted 7 up!
Undaunted, the Squirrel handed her a glass of ice and the soft drink.
Manny: That's too much ice. It'll dilute the fake 7up.
Squirrel (sighing) Not if you don't pour a lot in there at a time.

Manny took a couple of drinks from the cup and promptly threw up. She does this a lot. Begs for food or water and still can't hold it down. Makes me feel terrible to eat in front of her.

Then Squirrel gave Manny a sponge bath. When she was finished she said, "Now, I'm not washing that part down there. You have to do that yourself. I'm no gardener."

Manny's new roomie who was pretty talkative in the beginning has become very quiet. I wonder if she's sicker? All I know is, I gotta dump this fever so I can get over there and get a pic of that urine bag before they take out the catheter.

Labels: , , , ,

 
posted by Crabby at 7:46 AM |


30 Comments:


At 9/20/2007 8:59 AM, Blogger barman

At least Manny is showing you five fingers in that picture and not just 1. You guys keep this up and Manny is going to get a private room.

If Manny is that fast now she must not be getting as much pain medication. I don't know, you might have a hard time getting the picture you want. She will be ready for you.

At least it sounds like she is doing much better. :) Oh and by the way. That thing I just typed :) was 20 years old yesterday. Nothing to do with the reply or post I know, but...

 

At 9/20/2007 9:28 AM, Blogger jillie

I do hope Manny continues to progress. I am sure you all are giving the Dr.'s and nurses a run for their money with your humor. That's what gets you through tough times like this...

Godspeed!!

xoxo

 

At 9/20/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger lime

i don't blame manny for feeling grouchy. hospitals are no fun. i'm glad squirrel was there to give her a spongebath. when i spent 3 days in the hospital for my broken arm they did such a piss poor job of keeping me clean i developed sores in that short time.

 

At 9/20/2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Crabby

Barman, today she wants orange soda. LOL! I'm not allowed to call her because she says it hurts too much to get the phone but she's called me 3 times. (I think possibly she's improving)

Jillie, the nurses there love us which is good. Never get on the wrong side of the babe with the pain meds. Since I'm grounded till the fever disappears I've learned all their names and I call over there and tease them. Keeps them on their toes and gets me more information.

Lime, I think the 3 of us would rather look after each other in that department anyhow. It's uncomfortable having a stranger wash you. Although...Bob says he would prefer a good looking nurse give him a sponge bath. Personally I think he's seen too many Bond movies.
Man, you did have it bad in there. I don't really like leaving any family member alone in the hospital. Somebody needs to be there to make sure things get done.

 

At 9/20/2007 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

you are so funny..thank you.
I think I KNOW why the roomie left so quickly and it wasn't the food.."oh no here they come again" lol

Give her my best and are you sure you're just not in heat?
I didn't know goat's spit was mean..damn must be an Ohio thing.
tc

 

At 9/20/2007 11:39 AM, Blogger cadbury_vw

"Unfortunately at that point I raised the bag too high and the urine went backwards up the tube."

ick

glad you won't be near if i ever have to be catheterised...

gardener [snort]

very funny story, but sad she's not doing well

 

At 9/20/2007 1:02 PM, Blogger Unknown

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

At 9/20/2007 1:03 PM, Blogger Unknown

So glad she’s getting meaner if that means she’s recovering her health as well as her nastiness

As for your behavior, Crabby, it hasn’t been so kosher: Trying to bog a photo of Manny’s urine bag? Sending the urine back up the bag’s drain tube?

Are you not ashamed?

I didn’t think so. Well, Manny may be a handful, but I suspect you, dear Crabby, are a handful, too.

 

At 9/20/2007 3:03 PM, Blogger SignGurl

I drew the line with my mom at washing "down there". She'd have to be almost dead before I did that.

I hope your fever disappears quickly. That can't be fun.

 

At 9/20/2007 3:34 PM, Blogger Crabby

TC, goat spit is very mean stuff. Not as bad as Llama spit but, icky.
You know .... now that you mention it the first blood guy didn't come back either. He sent somebody different. LOL!

Cadbury, she's doing well enough now to make special requests so I'm guessing she's on the mend. She's also stopped reminding me about her will which probably means I shouldn't go shopping yet.

Nick, I'm not nearly as much of a handful. LOL!

Sign, I thought this fever would be gone by today. It isn't worse so maybe tomorrow. Everyone in that emergency room was coughing and spitting up except Manny and another lady who'd hurt her foot. It was germ central. I can't believe Bob escaped without catching anything.

 

At 9/20/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger justacoolcat

Urine bag? ewwww, sounds like a punk band name.

"I'm no gardener" That is seriously funny!

 

At 9/20/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger BTExpress

"I'm not a gardener." LMAO! I glad she's peeing. Is that weird of me, because I'm not into water works...... all the time anyway. ;-)

 

At 9/20/2007 4:54 PM, Blogger MilkMaid

Only sponge bath I ever gave was to MilkMan last year during all of his surgeries. He didn't object to my washing down there. ;)

Manny's got SO MUCH PAYBACK to do, she needs to get her ass well, tell her I said. And big hugs to her!

 

At 9/20/2007 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I think a good thing to do for manny is duct tape her to the bed and then ask "how do you like THEM apples?"

 

At 9/20/2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Cazzie!!!

I laughed so hard reading this post Crabby. I was thinking, OMG, why oh why does she want a picture of the catheter bag? LOL..I have a name for the bag when I assist my patients for a walk..I say, "come on mate, I will hold your second bladder while we walk around the ward" haha.
I hope your friend gets better soon. And..who needs enemies when they got a friend like you Crabby? LOL

 

At 9/21/2007 6:43 AM, Blogger Curly Glamour Girlie

I'll vouch for Manny - NOTHING compares to 7-Up. It's the only thing I've pulled the preggo card on - poor husband had to hit like 4 7-11s to find the elusive 7-Up. I'm hoping it's easier for you to find out west than here on the east coast.

 

At 9/21/2007 11:00 AM, Blogger S. E. E. Quine

` Reading this article, I think I understand why she's mean: Nothing tastes right, she throws up, and now people are pumping urine into her bladder!

 

At 9/21/2007 11:39 AM, Blogger Little Wing

Oh my god, I hope poor Manny survives your picking on her, LOL!

 

At 9/21/2007 12:38 PM, Blogger SIMON

If she's getting meaner she's getting better, obviously though neither of you have lost your sense of humour! That's a good thing hey?!
Keep improving Manny and keep us laughing Crabby.

 

At 9/21/2007 5:21 PM, Blogger GAB

Well she's looking a little better!

 

At 9/21/2007 10:06 PM, Blogger DirkStar

I love knowing that whenever I come here I never know what I'll find...

 

At 9/22/2007 2:58 PM, Blogger barman

I got a reply from Crabby earlier and thought I would share with people.

Manny continues to do a little better and get more ornery as time passes but she is not out of the woods. She has a serious infection.

We probably will not see a post from Crabby for a little while. She is just to worried at this point to post a funny post.

I know thoughts and prayers would certainly be appreciated.

 

At 9/22/2007 5:56 PM, Blogger Mone

I know I havent been around lately, but Manny in a hospital? Shit!!
... I've heard that urin should be healing... well at least sometimes.
All the best to all of you; Mone.

 

At 9/23/2007 7:41 AM, Blogger Mouthy Girl

Here's to Manny getting better, kicking Crabber's ass (sorry, Crabs, but I think it must be done after all of those GREAT pics!), and coming back with seriously great stories to tell about cute phlebotomists.

 

At 9/23/2007 11:58 AM, Blogger SIMON

Thoughts and prayers coming at yer Crabby!

 

At 9/24/2007 6:25 PM, Blogger G-Man

Manny looks hot in that Pic!!
Manny is always on my mind...And in My Prayers!
xoxoxoxox

 

At 9/24/2007 9:06 PM, Blogger jillie

Just checking in to see how Manny is doing. I haven't blogged for a few days and just stopped in to check on her.

Yeah, I would always tease the patients....be nice to me, I'm the one with the needles!
xoxo

 

At 9/25/2007 10:47 AM, Blogger Crabby

Hi guys!

Thank you soooo much for all the kind words, prayers, and emails. They meant more than I can tell you.

Manny is doing well. She may even come home soon. Possibly tomorrow.

Unfortunately now I've got the creepin jeebies. I'll be resting today but around since there's nothing much else I can do right now. LOL!

 

At 9/26/2007 7:46 AM, Blogger Unknown

I'm so glad you weren't present for the birth of my children.

:)

 

At 9/26/2007 2:48 PM, Blogger Crabby

Oh now Kept, you know you'd want me there. LOL! I could film everything.