Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Looks cute, doesn't he? Yep. That's what I used to think too. Right after we moved in 7 years ago Smilin George had a little mouse, this cute, trapped in a corner of my office. I made him let the little fella go. I didn't tell Bob because I knew Bob would kill it. Bob hates mice. I thought I could catch him in a box or something and go turn him loose in the woods behind our house. For two weeks I tried to catch him and damned if he didn't outsmart me at every turn.


Then Bob spotted a mouse upstairs. His first words to me, "Look me in the eye and tell me you don't know anything about this."
"Um."
"That's what I thought. Just tell me this, how long have you been harboring this mouse?"
"Not long. Couple weeks, tops."
"Well, by now we have more than one. You never have just one mouse......." and so the "talk" began. I don't know how long it lasted....felt like days but it ended with...."We're going to Lowes for Decon." I fought him on this. I did not want to poison the little mouse. Just catch him and release. But Bob got his decon and 15 minutes after he put it under the sink ...... it was gone. The mouse had become mouSES and my nickname became...dirt for brains.

This weekend Bob and Lucy were out back when all of a sudden Bob comes running in happy as a clam and say's...."Lucy caught a mouse. She's the reincarnation of Pierre come back to me." (another story for another day and I'm the bad guy in that one too.)

Soon as he said it I remembered that I'd seen some little black pellets in the corner of the kitchen floor. I was a tad concerned because these cute little varmints do damage like this and worse. I know. I've seen their handywork.

Today I found pellets in my pot holder drawer. I tell you, when a critter poops in my pot holder drawer, I get pissed. But it was when I found the bottom eaten out of my creamer, the creamer they're not planning to carry anymore. My favorite creamer. The reason I have coffee in the morning. Well.........THAT MEANS WAR! I bought traps and some stuff they say is better than cheese or peanut butter. (I doubt it) I'm using all 3. We'll see which one catches the first mouse. I'm gonna break their little necks, reload, and break some more. NOBODY CHEWS THE BOTTOM OUTA MY COFFEE CREAMER!

Vote a thumbs up for Crabby HERE
and don't forget Sign HERE
and Gabby HERE

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Crabby at 12:08 PM |


11 Comments:


At 7/25/2007 1:01 PM, Blogger Judy

Crab, I am somewhat of an expert in this area... (how many women do you know who own six Havahart's and a Tin Cat)... I also refer you to my highly informational piece on what to do with mice when things get "out of hand."

Poisoning anything sucks. If you've ever watched a poisoned animal dying, you would never use the stuff. There's also the problem of other unintended victims, in particular, the cat who happens to catch a mouse in it's poisoned dying stage.

I'm rooting for you with the peanut butter (works like a charm) and the snap-traps or Havaharts. And I do sympathize with you...

Now can anyone tell me how to trap rats? They are too smart to go in the traps.

 

At 7/25/2007 1:04 PM, Blogger Crabby

Wise those are exactly the reasons I hate poisoning. I know it works but it's just cruel. And now that Lucy is catching mice...well, that's kind of scary too. I'll check out that site. Thanks!

 

At 7/25/2007 2:54 PM, Blogger SignGurl

Decon works by dehydrating the mouse so even if another animal eats it, it won't hurt it.

They say, for every one you see, there are 20 you don't.

 

At 7/25/2007 3:54 PM, Blogger barman

So do they have any of those creamers left anywhere? Perhaps you can ask for them as part of you Christmas list.

I get the funny feeling like there are mice every now and then but so far I have not found any other than in my garage. I would rather they were not there but oh well.

Wize, I once saw a rat at the plant I was working at. I was along side the acid/flux tanks which meant I was about 2 foot down from the floor level and then I saw it. I rat the size of a large cat just meandering down the plant floor about 5 feet away. I freaked, grabbed onto the hoist and pulled myself up onto the edge of the acid tank. It was ba ba ba ba ba ba ba big! I give rats a wide birth.

 

At 7/25/2007 7:55 PM, Blogger MilkMaid

My favorite way to see a mouse is with his stiff little feeties in the air.

 

At 7/25/2007 9:46 PM, Blogger GAB

Thats a bad thing about mice espically on farms. So every year when we pack up our stuff until next time I do two things...Bounce all around the place because Mr Gab read somewhere they hate the smell. and Decon... and usually every time we come back there are little mouse droppings somewheres but also a dead mouse too. Last one was found in the bathroom in the toilet...He climbed in and couldnt get out is my guess.

 

At 7/25/2007 10:33 PM, Blogger G-Man

Hey Milkie,
Hows this for an opening line....
What are ya wearing?

Crabby,
Far be it from me to Blog Whore....But you absolutely have to go visit me today....You owe me after all the sex I've had to shell out this week....and please go tell your sister..
After today, you'll know how much I love you guys.
Galen xoxox

 

At 7/25/2007 11:11 PM, Blogger Mone

We had mouses a few years ago too and I thougth breaking their neck is just as cruel as getting them poisoned. I found a mousetrap which got them in but didnt kill them. They were expansive, but because we have a big old house I needed to buy a few trapps. It was just to cute looking at the jailed mouses. On the way to school/work we let them free in the neighborvillage, hahaha. That fall we cougth 14 mouses, but we had peace the last years.
PS: Penutbutter is still the best to get those little critters.

 

At 7/26/2007 4:57 AM, Blogger Cazzie!!!

Ohh noesssss, not the creamer!

 

At 7/26/2007 6:53 AM, Blogger Crabby

Sign, the package says to be sure that your animals or children don't injest the dead mice or something like that. My first thought....if I had a kid who ate dead mice, I'd hire an exorcist.

barman, it's the worst feeling not knowing where they're hiding and what they're up to. I have a whole new appreciation for the power of the bitty mouse. Man are they destructive! Oddly, so far I haven't caught a thing. And I'm not seeing any more droppings.
PS. So far I can still get the creamer at Walmart but I hear that's not gonna last long. I'll be in a deep depression when I can't get that creamer anymore. I'm a creamer junkie.

Milky, me too, babe. Me too.

Gabby, I hadn't heard that about bounce. I'll give it a try. We're right on a huge ravine. We get all sorts of critters, including Fox. Mouse in the toilet? ICK ICK! bet that would stop ya mid-stream.

G...that was cool as hell! I may have to adopt you to be my other brother. Then I'd have you and Barman.

Mone, I saw those trap and release traps at Lowes. They seem pretty simple to use. That's what we did with the raccoons. I'm sure the farmers out in the next county love us now. LOL!

Caz, that's exactly what I said. Anything but my creamer.

 

At 7/27/2007 1:08 PM, Blogger Spoony Quine

` I have an old post on my Wackmobiles blog that involves a mouse in a toilet. And a mouse that was mistaken for a pterodactyl. And a mouse that a cat mistook for a kitten.
` It's pretty messed up. But they're all true stories!